Friday, November 17, 2017

SCAM WARNING!








Twice this week I have received a telephone call from a woman identifying herself as a police officer and giving a badge number; she states that the IRS has found discrepancies in my filings and that a warrant has been issued for my arrest.   She said that Federal Marshals have been dispatched to apprehend me, and that if I would like to avoid arrest I should call a number XXXXXX.

You hear about these scams but don’t expect them to be operating in the rural western Maine mountains.  

If you have concernes with young inexperienced couples or older people you should probably discuss this with them immediately.


the Ol’Buzzard

7 comments:

  1. Just remember this, the IRS will not send anyone to arrest you. They don't do that sort of thing. Another thing if you do fall for that scam they usually want money in the form of paid gift card and you give them the code. It's ridiculous that these people do this and think they can get away with it but the sad thing is that they sometimes do. Interpol did capture an Indian husband and wife team that hustled $1000's. I do have one question though. Did the person that called have an Indian accent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the woman definitely spoke with no trace of a foreign accent.
      O'B

      Delete
  2. Yeah, this scam gets pulled a lot in Canada too. Both My Rare One and I have received such calls. We just laughed and hung up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my 14-year-old students got a message from an email scammer (African prince). Somehow my student persuaded the "prince" to turn over some sort of entrance code for the "prince's" PC, and my student got on the "prince's" computer and wiped it clean. Must say it earned my admiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Canada, we have scammers who say they are from Revenue Canada (taxes) with similar messages. I also just deleted some scam emails with links they wanted me to click on for more information. Sneaky buggers. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caller ID. If we don't recognize a number, we don't answer. If it's important, they can leave a message.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."