Friday, June 24, 2016

TECHNOLOGY AND ME





I have a new cell phone.  It is a flip phone and it can access the internet, send and receive text messages, take and send pictures – and I don’t know how to do any of that.   

Basically, I don’t have a need for any of that.   I keep the phone for emergencies if I am traveling, and I will probably use it less than fifteen minutes this year to contact my wife if I have a question while I go shopping at the grocery store by myself.

I don’t feel the need to stay connected every minute - 24/7.   But that doesn’t mean the world shouldn’t.

Though I am not connected, I am not decrying the rest of the universe that obviously is.    I am a dinosaur and have chosen to let technology leave me behind.

The children of the millennials are growing up plugged in to iPads and computers instead of watching Sesame Street; technology is replacing toys.     This will cause a rewiring of the brain producing a techno-generation that will accept rapid change and think and respond differently than their grandparents.    These children are the new aliens on planet Earth. 

What used to take decades to research, produce and market is now done in months.   New products, new ideas, new parameters are being introduced daily. 

In 1985 there was no internet being used by the masses.   An Apple Mac computer could store one megabyte of data.
  
In the last forty years there has been more change in human innovation than the forty-thousand years preceding.    We have satellites giving us GPS with accurate to within a foot; space telescopes exploring the distance galaxies of the universe; computers capable of massive compilations within seconds; and exploration of the genome systems that in the very near future will cure most diseases and allow humans to drastically extend their life span.   Not to mention creating a new generation of children adapted to dealing with technologies and this rapid change.  


the Ol’Buzzard

4 comments:

  1. I worry sometimes about getting left behind technologically in the coming years as I get older but I don't know what I could do about it anyway. I just can't keep up with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so far out of the loop that it would be impossible to hitch a ride back. I know how to program my clocks when the power goes out and that's it. I am technologically challenged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my phone..I take pictures of the ggs and post them on facebook...or my blog...I'm with it baby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am figuring out how to use my smartphone, little by little. Now I can check Facebook in the middle of the night without getting out of bed. Like this is critical to life itself. Not. But I have a smartphone. Your proposed use is much more intelligent.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."