Sunday, January 17, 2016

U.S. SAILORS CAPTURED BY IRAN





HERE THERE ARE TIGERS

I spent eight years of my military career as a SERE (Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape) instructor.

I watched the American sailors captured by Iran with special interest.  They did everything contrary to SERE training; but an allowance has to be made.  

SERE students are chosen from service units likely to fall prisoner into enemy hands.  SEAL teams, Green Berets, Pilots etc. are required SERE training.  The majority of military personnel never experience SERE, and this is probably the case with the boat sailors captured by the Iranian Coast Guard.  SERE graduates would have behaved differently because of specialized training.    

These young sailors should not be vilified. They acted on instinct in a stressful situation for which they were not prepared.    It is more than likely that anyone reading this post would have acted exactly the same.

It especially pisses me off when people who have never served in the military express an opinion critical of these young sailors.  They are doing a dangerous job and training for the eventuality that someday they may be required to lay down their life in defense of their country. 

the Ol’Buzzard


1 comment:

  1. Seems to me that all Brown Water small boat crews should be going to SERE training. I have been watching the news looking for follow-up stories on the sailors detained by Iran. I have a hard time believing that our guys were such knuckleheads and didn't realize they were in Iranian waters. And if you do find yourself in a bad situation you can't just open up with every automatic weapon you have on-board without realizing you might create an international incident. I feel bad for those guys and I think there's more to the story than has been released to the media. Now I'm wondering if they did go to SERE. Stay tuned.

    EDG Vietnam River Rat, Whidbey Island SERE 1967

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."