Monday, January 5, 2015

RELIGION AS MUSIC

The few people that read this blog (my wife) know that I am not a religious person.  I object to the name Atheist on the grounds that  I should not be labeled by what I do not believe: I don't believe in unicorns, or werewolves, or gods, or devils, or fairies, or heaven, or hell, or Oz; or anythings that when you think about it seems blatantly preposterous.

I feel that religion does far more harm than good.  The few food pantries and shelters do not balance out the wars, violence, bigotry, ignorance and intolerance that is the hallmark religions in general and Christianity in specific. 

On an individual basis religion may be a comfort - a way to deny death; but, on an organized basis it is the bane of civilization.  

The only good thing that has come from religion is art and music: religion fantasy had been a creative motivation in every genera from classical, to gospel, to chants, to sacret harp, to country, to blues...   And I like most of it. 


Hill country music




Blue Grass


Blues


Gospel


and then there is Dylan
turn up the sound and enjoy

and the list could go on and on and on...

I would have included some rap by Gangstagrass; but, I didn't want Yellow Dog Granny to stick pencils in her ears.
the Ol'Buzzard

8 comments:

  1. You're right about the art and music! It comes from a place of deep inspiration, far beyond the details of specific religions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I call myself a "Born-Again Agnostic". I was born not knowing, got confirmed as a Lutheran, and after learning more about religion, decided it was pretty much a bunch of bullshit used to control people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also confirmed as a Lutheran and even went to a Lutheran college. I didn't take much math so I almost never went to the building with the big "plus" sign on top. Figured it was the math building. I was still in my teens when I realized I just didn't believe it anymore. I have an acquaintance in Iceland who is a music teacher and writes religious music (sometimes commissioned). She is a confirmed atheist, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe in a spirit of the planet but it isn't a religion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Took me 50 years to walk away and not look back (too often). I do love gospel music though, something about the simplicity of the words and music and the harmony.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I have been refining my atheism since I was 12...born a catholic, but one day I saw the light...that was well over 50 years ago. I ran far, I ran fast and never looked back. There are a lot of things humans do that take us to a higher place. Music is surely one of the powerful tools we have of expression. I think music is my religion. I definitely experienced and still experience transcendance in performing and creating and listening to music. I studied meditation techniques and found that music was a direct path....but perhaps, the paths I use and enjoy might be the same path that work for everyone else. Music can be the common ground that can make us all feel briefly part of something much bigger. I just wanna testify! I have seen the light and though, my brethren it might have been George Clinton's Flashlight, it made me focus on the one, get it on the good foot and I'm takin' it to the bridge! Amen. On the other hand, sometimes I feel Mavis Staples is my real mother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are right..I can count one one hand the number of rap songs I like..I like chants by monks..I like the old hymns I heard at the Baptist church that my aunt would sneak me into ..cause I was catholic and my mother would have had a stroke..back then a catholic going to a baptist church was a one way trip to hell..I loved the old rugged cross..but as far as my religion..I figure if it was good enough for the cave man it was good enough for me..ha

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."