Friday, November 14, 2014

I HAVE SEEN IT ALL BEFORE




Last week on Real Time with Bill Maher Bill did a monologue about age; he said America is one of the few countries that does not venerate the aged.   He went on to say that old people are smarter than young people because they have seen it all before. 

PETER JOHN
Traditional Chief of Koyukon Athabaskans
RIP
 

Having lived for twelve years in Indian, Yup’ik and Inuit villages of Alaska I can relate first hand to cultures that venerate elders.

I can also agree that every individual is smarter as an elder than he or she was in their younger years; but, if you were an ignorant young person, and ignorant middle age person, you are probably going to be an ignorant old person.   It’s all relative.  

I am an elder - and I am one hell of a lot smarter in my old age than I was as a young person; but, that is not saying much – again it is all relative.  

I have never claimed to be a sage old owl, but just an Ol’Buzzard that has soared in the air currents and sat on tree limbs and rocky crags and watched – and now I remember.  

Any opinions I have are naturally biased as they have been filtered through my personal experiences, likes and dislikes, prejudices and intellect (or lack thereof) during my seventy years+++ of chaos.
  
As an elder I look at the current state of affairs and am not particularly concerned.  I have seen this all before: war, social ills, prejudice, bigotry, confusion, dysfunctional government, politicians motivated by selfish avarice, ignorance and religious fervor.  

The one thing I can say for sure is that we never learn and we will do it all over again: we are destine to perform the same play, slightly modified to time and place, and with different actors – but with the same outcome.

ADVICE FROM AN ELDER
Don’t despair - there are things you can do: get a nice bottle of wine, enjoy a good meal, have sex with your significant other and chill out.



A ZEN STORY
A man came to the Buddha seeking contentment.    He said, “I want happiness.” 
The Buddha replied, “First remove the ‘I’ that is ego.   Then remove the ‘want’ that is desire.   Now you are left only with happiness.”
 
Enjoy the Now.
the Ol’Buzzard  



12 comments:

  1. For every wise old owl (or buzzard) there are dozens of senile old coots. Or, to speak directly to Maher's point, for every Jerry Brown there's a John McCain to balance things out. Not all elders are wise; some are just old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely agree - the Tea Party is full of them.
      O'B

      Delete
  2. There is a lot to learn from an older person. You learn the good and the bad. Just filter the bad. If I followed my grandmother's advice, I wouldn't have married the person I did. After 29 years together, she was wrong to advise me to only marry within my religious upbringing.
    I agree with grab the wine and your sweetie. Everything will be better tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Age doesn't make you sage. Each person's experiences slant their irrespective. Old people are, however, a great unused resource - a depository of local history of their time and place. '
      O'B

      Delete
    2. While she objected to my choice at first, she really loved him and was able to overcome her religious beliefs. I should have said that both my grandparents where the light of my life and they did teach me many things that I continue today including gardening and cooking. Most of all, they loved me:)

      Delete
  3. I find it ironic that America touts it's superiority but actually has a life expectancy that is almost third world...Western Europe's average is uniformly above 80 years...Your state, Mr. Buzzard is one of the better states, around 78 years old. But much of the USA is down there with Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union...the average is under 72 years old! There is much to be learned from the lessons of America as far as it's values and the focus and emphasis on marketing to a youth culture. The obsession of the religious fanatics of the rights of the "unborn" as opposed to the quality of life of those who live. Americans are obsessed with cuteness, but shrink in horror at the specter of the human condition. I could go on, but all of these things reflect the chronic symptoms of a very sick, dysfunctional society.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From my perspective in the darkest corner of the abyss, I see no reason to be optimistic about the future. You are a better man than me. Apparently you are wise and I am an old coot! I see the continual erosion of a once great nation and the fabric of our society being shredded by fanaticism and bigotry and self righteousness. It makes me sad. Best I can do is try and enjoy my yard and shop, the companionship of my sweet wife while I wait for the eternal darkness to claim me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Societies are just people and that is why they are imperfect. All 'societies' eventually lose track of the people and run only for the benefit of the 'society.' (1984)
      O'B

      Delete
  5. I agree, it's all relative. Everyone becomes smarter. But I also know a lot of younger people who are smarter than elder ones. It all boils down to experience and learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and to opportunities and enrichment in the home while young. Again, it is relative - but you will probably be smarter in your old age than you were in your youth - not necessarily smarter than another person.
      O'B

      Delete
  6. I read some stuff written by one of the Native Elders from a Cree reserve near Regina. It was in English but for all the sense it made, might was well have been in Cree. It was a mishmash of lofty sounding words and phrases. I hope that it was not representative of all Elders but we tend to fake veneration because we know we should. I spend my whole life telling people the emperor has no clothes. Not a good policy.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."