Monday, January 31, 2011

A DETOUR INTO NIHILISM

January 31, 2011

THE OL'BUZZARD



It is hard not to be cynical as you grow older. We have been at war for nine years; there are riots in Egypt; Representative Gabrielle Gifford was shot in Arizona; the bombing of a Russian airport; and, the attempted bombing of a Mosque in Dearborn, Mich. All this happened just this month. That doesn’t include all the crazy shit that happens at the local level.

When I was young I was focused on getting through the work week, connecting with my next piece of ass, planning my next adventure and getting my next man toy. Things like death and destruction were buried in my brain in a location that I did not have to deal with.

Now that I am long in the tooth I’m retired, so don’t have to work, I am faced with the realization that no one wants to fuck a man my age, my next adventures are pretty tame, and on my income I can’t warrant buying any more man toys for the short time I have left.

I was looking at some cuts of George Carlin clips on UTube last night. Older Carlin was expressing the same nihilism that I feel. To further acerbate this feeling, a fundamentalist Christian hacker had overlaid some of George’s out-takes on religion with elevator music and covered the video with a sign saying that George Carlin is burning in Hell. Stupidity, intolerance and ignorance seem somehow to have taken over this world.

During my young adulthood in the 1960’s the world was crazy. There was the Vietnam War, the Cold War, mutually assured destruction, assassinations: the same crap, but on a smaller scale. The world population has doubled since the 1960’s and so have the stupid, intolerant and ignorant people and organizations. In other words the world is twice a crazy. As the population increases exponentially (doubling every forty years) so will the craziness and dangers.



Is this a downer? Fucking-A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."